DCD’s DF6808 IP Core is binary-compatible with the industry standard Motorola 68HC08 8-bit microcontroller, but thanks to highly sophisticated on-chip peripheral capabilities, it performs 45-100 million instructions per second. FAST architecture implemented in DF6808 enable this mcu to run at least 3 times faster than the original solution.
Digital Core Design, celebrating its 15th anniversary in 2014, enhanced its portfolio with a new architecture. DF6808, even in standard configuration, offers integrated on-chip major peripheral functions. But, as the company’s CEO Jacek Hanke has stated, it’s just the beginning: “The DF6808 Microcontroller Core contains full-duplex UART- Asynchronous Serial Communication Interface (SCI) and the Synchronous Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI)”. To enable even more functionality in design, the main 16-bit, free-running timer system, has two input capture lines and two output-compare lines.
The DF6808 has been equipped with proprietary safety functions, which efficiently hasten the design process. To protect against system errors, self-monitoring circuitry has been included on-chip. The Computer Operating Properly (COP) watchdog system, protects against software failures. And an illegal opcode detection circuit provides a non-maskable interrupt, once the illegal opcode occurs.
Two software-controlled power-saving modes – WAIT and STOP are available to conserve additional power. These modes make the DF6808 IP Core especially attractive for automotive and battery-driven applications.
The DF6808 is fully customizable, which means it’s been delivered in the exact configuration, to meet target design requirements. There is no need to pay extra for unused features and wasted silicon. DCD’s IP Core includes fully automated test bench with complete set of tests. They allow easy package validation at each stage of SoC design flow.
And last but not least, the DF6808 has a built-in support for DCD Hardware Debug System called DoCD. It’s a real-time hardware debugger which provides debugging capability of a whole System on Chip (SoC). Unlike other on-chip debuggers, the DoCD enables non-intrusive debugging of running application. It can halt, run, step into or skip an instruction, read/write any contents of micro-controller, including all registers, SFRs, user defined peripherals, data and program memories.
More information: http://dcd.pl/ipcore/113/df6808/
DF6808’s Key Features:
- FAST architecture – 3.2 times faster than the original implementation
- Software compatible with 68HC08 industry standard
- Configurable Harvard or Von Neumann architectures
- 11 times faster multiplication
- 64 bytes of System Function Registers space (SFRs)
- Up to 64K bytes of Data Memory
- Up to 64K bytes of Code Memory
- De-multiplexed Address/Data Bus to allow easy memory connection
- Two power saving modes: STOP, WAI
- Ready pin allows Core to operate with slow program and data memories.
- Fully synthesizable
- No internal reset generator or gated clock
- Positive edge clocking and no internal tri-states
- Scan test ready
- 800 MHz of virtual clock frequency compared to original implementation